Google
 

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Obscure Music

Since discovering new music was one of the reasons we started this society, I decided to make a list of some obscure and non-mainstream bands/albums that I highly recommend.

The first band is Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks:Underdog World Strike. This is their fourth CD and as much as I like their previous albums, this one is by far their best. Gypsy Punks combines many types of music that is very catchy and the first time I heard this album, I was hooked. It is a well made mix of Ukrainian folk, modern punk, and gypsy rhythms that will be enjoyed by anyone who appreciates good music. On a side note, their concerts are amazing and have tons of energy that turns it into a very pleasant atmosphere to be in. (No, I wasn't high.)

Another less known band is Kultur Shock - Fucc the INS. Like Gogol Bordello, Kultur Shock combines music of various cultures that sounds great when put together. However, what makes Kultur Shock unique is how many cultures are put into one band: they have Bosnian, Bulgarian, Japanese, and American accents to name a few. If Fucc the INS is to your liking, I would also recommend their most recent album: Kultura Diktura.

The Delegates started as a small band from Canada selling their albums in malls. (They stationed band members throughout the Natick Mall and stopped the people like us) However, their recent Warped Tour appearance and their U.S. tour have exposed them to more people. They currently have two albums released: We All Taste The Same; The Diary of Hamilton Fish. They are both great albums that are a sweet blend of ska, punk, and alternative rock. Unlike most punk bands though, they know how to play more than just power chords on guitar. Oh, and by the way, Asch, their bassist was very nice and easy to talk to when he sold me the album unlike other bands whose members are jackasses.

And that wraps up my list of awesome obscure bands.

2 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Blogger my music is better than your's said...

don't trust russians...

I'm just kidding sash is right gogol bardello is awesome. They are amazing live. And I was also sold a delegates CD at the mall so yeah they to are cool... a little less cool due to the "emo, pop, and skater idiot music festical"

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger The Drunken Gypsy said...

Yes, warped tour sucks but they have a few good bands occasionally, plus Gogol Bordello was on it last year and all bands have to start somewhere. By the way, I am in no way supporting or defending warped tour.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home