Google
 

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Midyear report

This past week the world celebrated a very special occasion, one half of the Christian year 2006 has ended. Now this isn’t a very significant milestone but never the less it is important. It is especially important in the entertainment industry because it marks what kind of year it will be for the industry. So I just thought I’d try to sum up the half year in music. Now since one of my goals in this club is looking down on things I’m not going to write about the best of 2006, and since its only been half the year I’m only going to mention five bands instead of the heavily favored ten or twenty. Now you may be asking your self, “What music will you, oh great David, be writing about if not the best? The answer simple the most disappointing albums this year (or half).


5. First Impressions of Earth- The Strokes: This album should have been amazing. There first two albums seemed to be building to something great, but on January 6th nothing great came out. Average is the best word to describe first Impressions and average is one word that should never be used to describe the strokes.

4. Return to the Sea- Islands: Everyone savvy to hip indie rock was wicked excited for this album, and so was I. But unlike everyone I was disappointed by the album. I was disappointed for two reasons, one I really liked the Unicorns and I was really looking forward to a strong release from former Unicorns Nick Diamonds and Jamie. The other reason I was so pumped for this album was the high rate it got on Pitchfork media and the recommendation from Mr. R (BTW remind me to ask Ms. Alicino where he is).

3. Eyes Open- Snow Patrol: There are several reasons why Snow Patrols 4th album makes this list. One reason this album was so disappointing was because Snow Patrol’s work up to this album was so good. Another reason and perhaps the biggest reason the album makes the list is the clear sound difference between this album and there last one, Final Straw. They clearly changed there whole music style between albums and I don’t think it was necessarily by choice. This brings me to my last problem. Between Final Straw and this album the members of Snow Patrol clearly spoke to someone from there label about how they could get more radio play, or in Laymen’s terms they sold out.

2. Pearl Jam- Pearl Jam: What can’t I say about this album that I haven’t already said? Well for one this album is so generic it makes me cry (Oh wait I’ve said that before). It’s even worse because Pearl Jam put out so many good albums before. They were one of the few bands that did what they wanted to do and were still able to sell records. Maybe they wanted to make a record like these or maybe Vedder was too busy complaining about Bush to make a good record but this album is clearly Pearl Jam’s worst effort.

1. Youth- Matisyahu: Out of all the records on this list I was most excited for this one. At the time I was in a Reggae mood and Matisyahu seemed to be the perfect modern day artist to fill my needs. The day of the release I went right from school to Newbury Comics and bought (and got a free EP). When I got home I imported it on to my I-tunes and had a listen. At first listen I wasn’t impressed. At second listen still nothing and by the third time I listened through the third time I was so annoyed at how bad it was I vowed not to listen to it for a long time (I still haven’t listened to it since). Not only did I eagerly await this album more than the others I also like it less than the others. So that is why Youth is the big loser of one half of 2006.

7 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger The Drunken Gypsy said...

I liked Youth, but I haven't heard his other albums so i can't compare. But I agree with pearl jam being on that list. They performed the songs well at the concert, but the songs themselves were terrible.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger The Drunken Gypsy said...

It means half the year is over based on our calendar.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger my music is better than your's said...

fatty's right and i have a correction it should be "half the year is over based on the pagan calectors

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger The Drunken Gypsy said...

calectors?

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger my music is better than your's said...

i am also confused... i think i meant pagan calenders

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger The Drunken Gypsy said...

maybe you meant calculators even though that makes no sense.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger my music is better than your's said...

i think half way through typing i got disstracted and typed out half of each word

 

Post a Comment

<< Home